Recent and on-going consultancy
- Key expert – Cultural diversity and Inter-cultural dialogue EU Dialogue on Culture programme. Lead partner Goethe Institut, Brussels. Ongoing.
- Evaluator/Critical Friend. The Agency: Developing Young people as Social Entrepreneurs through arts and culture for Battersea Arts Centre, Contact Theatre Manchester. On-goingEvaluator/Critical Friend.
- Consultant/Strategy Advisor Gulbenkian Foundation on Participatory Arts programmes.Including creating Participatory Arts Literature Review, mentoring and training. On-going
- Evaluator/Critical Friend. ‘Meet Me at the Albany’ Role of arts and culture in wellbeing with elders. On-going.
- Validator. EU Aspire programme: Artists in informal learning including establishment of EU wide network.
Recent Cultural Sector Consultancy and Practice includes:
- Artist in Residence Osaka ‘Outsider’ Festival Osaka University. November 2014.
- Associate Editor Journal for Arts and Communities. Intellect. Ongoing
- Visiting Lecturer/Workshop leader. Tokyo University, MAU University Tokyo, Nihon University, Tokyo current (and course leader Aoyama Gaukin from 2017)
- Consultant/Evaluator ‘Meet Me at the Albany’ Role of arts and culture in wellbeing with elders.
- Key expert/trainer Peer Coaching in Arts and Cultural participation. EU Timecase programme.
- Key expert/trainer Taivex Independent international Cultural Operators Programme. EU Finland.
- Facilitator/Trainer Artists in Innovation in business contexts. Helsinki University of the Arts. 2014
- European Quality Assurance expert – HE across Europe for ELIA. Ongoing.
- Initiator and Creative Director Generation – Women in Europe in Culture programme ECF 2013
- Consultant/Facilitator Freeword literary and advocacy organisations training and research in dealing with censorship and freedom of expression in cultural contexts 2012/13
- Facilitator/Trainer Finnish Arts and Cultural sector strategic change and Well-Being at Work Programme, Departments of Culture and Education and Employment. 2012-13
- Facilitator/Trainer European Cultural Foundation Russia and former USSR Cultural Development Training programme. 2012
- Advisor/Facilitator Aalto Societal Innovation Camp, Helsinki, 2011-13
- Writer/Researcher/Chair. International Participatory Practice. Paul Hamlyn 2012/13Co-writer Guide/programme developer and Conference Chair. EU Artists in Creative Education programme. http://www.artistsincreativeeducation.com 2011
- EU Working groups humarts, artesnet, interartes (ELIA) – arts in higher education trans-EU “tuning” group. Ways forward for training artists for employability in HE.
- Lead Consultant/Creative Director British Council Creative Collaborations 2 yr funding and project development programme – South East Europe
- Arts and Cultural Policy Advisor, particularly in the context of arts and cultural participation and inter-cultural dialogue for clients including British Council, Gulbenkian Foundation, European Cultural Foundation, Culture Action Europe, ELIA, Setagaya Public Theatre, NESTA, Kunstenaars&Co, KulturKontakt, Austria, Theatre Institute, Helsinki, Ministry of Culture, Greece, Theatre Day Productions/PNA (Palestine), Council of Europe.
Strategic Arts and Cultural Programmes
In addition to consultancy for a wide range of UK and EU arts and cultural organisations, Chrissie has initiated and directed a number of strategic creative and cultural programmes, particularly as Senior Associate for the National Theatre Education Department (1991-2010). These included:
- Joint Creative Director Art of Regeneration 4 yr. National Theatre arts, education and culture led regeneration programme, based at Albany Arts Centre Deptford, focusing on partnership between a large cultural institution and its local community. Developing a venue, programming, strategy, policy and young people’s work alongside regenerating the space. Budget £3.5 million. Creative Director recent AoR Heritage Lottery programme £150,000.
- Founder and Director – Transmission – highly acclaimed 7 yr. trans-national programme developing creative training, mobility and employment opportunities for community, penal, and business sectors. Over €1million funding over 5 years from DGV, Leonardo, Grundtvig with partners in 7 EU countries (including Kunstenaars&co and Kulturkontakt) and the leading EU cultural networks, IETM, ELIA, EunetART, Culture Action Europe.
- Programme Director and Initiator – Seeding a Network. Training and development programme for change leaders in creative and cultural industries in Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova. Over €750,000 from PHARE, FCO, Council of Europe, Open Society Fund.
- Programme Director and Initiator – Branching Out. Job-shadowing and training programme for teachers/artists working with young people in formal and informal education in C & E Europe. (Leading to Branching Out Japan and partnership trainings in Palestine. Over €750,000 budget.
CPD and training of trainers includes:
- Training and CPD Creative Partnerships, Creative and Cultural Education, ACE Intercultural entrepreneurs, ASPIRE (non-formal creative learning organisations across EU), ADVANCE (creative entrepreneurship) NESTA Intercultural Leadership Fellows, A Visible Profession (cross-sectoral working in arts), LIFT, National Theatre, Creative Partnerships, Arts & Regeneration, East Midlands Arts, Artists Training, LEAP London, Animarts, London, Head Teacher’s Institute, DCMS, NW Arts, NESTA, ACE, CLP, CCS, SELLLN, LDA STEP non-formal learning programme.
- Practice based workshops in arts and education/socially engaged practice – Japan, Palestine, Greece, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and 15 countries across C & E Europe: currently developing accredited arts and creativity programme with partner ngos universities in Osaka, Japan.
Recent Keynotes, publications/articles/chapters include:
- Keynotes: History is not the Past, Goethe Institute, Paris. Addressing a Changing World, Royal Academy Music and Drama, Glasgow. Participatory Practice, CREATE, Dublin. Socially Responsible Theatre Practice, Ministry of Culture, Belgrade. Partnership working in Arts and Business, Helsinki. Arts and Inter-cultural Dialogue, Verona and Brussels, Culture Action Europe, New ways forward training of artists, Arts and Education, ELIA Biennial Ghent, Arts and Engagement European Council of Artists, Amsterdam. Arts and Participation, Artworks, Graz. Art across Borders, N Ireland.
- Publications: Thought pieces for Taivex, ENCAT, Platform for Intercultural Dialogue, Platform for Culture, CREATE Ireland, Paul Hamlyn. Chapters in Taking Part; arts, culture and civic engagement and Hybrid Lives of Artist/Teachers. Literature Reviews on Arts and Participation, International Participatory Arts Practice, Paul Hamlyn, Calouste Gulbenkian, An Eye onIntercultural Dialogue, co- edited Venu Dhupa. Artists in Creative Education Guidelines translated into a number of languages), Teachers Handbook – Creative Apprentices and Emerging Artists, Art of Regeneration, NT, The Creative Worker – new ways of working for artists, Art for Social Change (translated into a number of languages), Branching Out. Regular contributor of articles for Arts Professional, various reports/articles in EU and international arts and culture contexts and online on creativity, arts and engagement, arts and civil society.
- Programmes currently being evaluated above, Cre8 East Africa training programme, Impact of Intercultural Dialogue in the EU Culture programme, Visiting Arts 12Mile trans-national arts and environment programme, NESTA Intercultural Leadership Programme, ECF Art for Social Change in Balkans and Baltics, EU Training of artists working within Third Sector programmes, Art for Social Change, ECF, numerous case studies and reports for European Cultural Foundation, Open Society Fund, Council of Europe on Art and Social Engagement, Participatory Drama.
Previous Arts Practice includes:
Theatre director/writer/producer in Theatre in Education: initiating and leading first integrated TIE company, including three award-winning theatre pieces and published guidelines to process and performance in arts with young people.
Corporate and NGO Practice includes:
- Embodied Leadership, Personal Impact, Creative Thinking, Networking and Influencing, Values in the workplace for – National Theatre Theatreworks, Theatre4Business and CTA. Clients include Investec, Mars, PWC, Barclays, BUPA, NHS, BBC, Smith & Williamson, McKinsey, Vivendi, Morgans’ Hotel Group, Arcadia, Sony Music, Wind, Portugal and a number of European MBAs.
Other relevant experience includes:
Board membership: Eunetart (President), Writernet (Chair), Art for Social Change, Sphinx Theatre, Head for Business, STEP, Jackson’s Lane Arts Centre (Chair), Opera Machine, Director, Art of Regeneration, Director.
Education and Training:
BA Hons English Language and Literature, PGCE Drama and English, ACSD (MA) Central School of Speech and Drama, NLP Leadership, Association of Coaches, Action Learning, FRSA